Possibly the most well-known of Elsie Inglis’ Scottish Women’s Hospitals is the unit that arrived in France in December 1914, and established a hospital in the 13th century abbey at Royaumont, 40 miles north of Paris. Under the direction of the French Red Cross, the hospital at Royaumont (or Hôpital Auxiliaire 301) received casualties from the Western Front, mostly French soldiers as well as North African, and operated for the duration of the war, admitting 11,000 patients.
A great deal of pioneering scientific work was undertaken at Royaumont by SWH bacteriologists, radiologists and surgeons, which focused on the use of X-ray and bacteriology in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of gas gangrene. At Royaumont, medical staff had access to a fully equipped mobile X-ray car (manufactured by Austins for the London branch of the NUWS), which could also provide X-ray facilities to other hospitals in the vicinity.
|Original Index Number|